April 12, 2007

Bittersweet Bear

I just wanted to share my "Bittersweet Bear" with you. I received yesterday after months of waiting. The idea first came after we buried Abby. The "Loved & Cherished" casket she was buried in came with a gift certificate for a "Bittersweet Bear." So, I went online and was so touched. The company was started by a mother and daughter. The mother used to work in funeral services and was an avid seamstress and wanted to use her sewing skills to help bereaved families. Her daughter was in marketing and helped on the business side of things. They basically take any items (clothes, blankets, etc.) you may have of your lost loved one and turn it into the most precious bear. Well, after the funeral, I was given this big piece of fleece material that the hospital had wrapped Abby in to be taken to the funeral home. After the funeral, the funeral director gave it to me. Of course it is probably the most sacred of all items I have of hers and I wanted to do something very special with it. At first I wanted to make a blanket out of it, but I already have two blankets that were hers that we held her in at the hospital (and are in the photo of her on the website). Still I wanted to do something. So, when I ran across the gift certificate, I knew that it was exactly what I needed to do. I am so glad that I did because the end result is absolutely precious. Here are photos of Abby's "Bittersweet Bear" ...


















The yellow body is the fleece blanket she was wrapped in from the hospital to the funeral home. The flowered ears and feet are from the bib that I kept that matches the outfit she was buried in, which my mom gave me. The patch of flowers on the tummy are also from the bib and are on her outfit. The "love" patch in the center was from a sleeping gown that my MIL had given me when I was still pg. I wanted to include something from both of our families. Her name is embroidered in the bears left foot. I am so pleased with the way the it turned out and couldn't wait to share it with you!!