January 11, 2008

The Long & Winding Road

As Benjamin and I were driving home tonight, we got caught in standstill traffic that was caused by a major accident. A compact car and semi had nearly collided on Route 50 near Dry Run and both had run off the road, blocking the intersection. At first, Benjamin was fascinated by the lights and action, but as I watched the clock, I realized I really needed to get this boy home and to bed, so I decided to take a detour. We passed the three or four cars ahead of us on the opposite side of the road and cautiously turned right in front of them onto Dry Run, which I thought would take us about 10 minutes out of our way, but at least we'd be moving. So we began to wind up down and all around in the pitch darkness towards our destination. As we made each curve, the road got narrower and narrower until there was barely enough room for one car to travel safely. Then the pavement got patchy and bumpy and the car began to shake, all the while twisting and turning up the dark path ahead. At points, I wasn't sure I had made the right choice. Was this road really leading where I had thought? Or would I end up in the completely opposite direction from where I had intended? My confidence dimmed until we started uphill in a familiar direction. I could see the light ahead ... it was Route 133 ... we were almost home! All of a sudden, I wrapped my mind around what had just happened to us. The accident, with all it's flashing lights and danger, had sent us down an unfamiliar path into the darkness. We knew where we would end up, but not what would happen along the way. There were times we weren't sure we were going in the right direction and the road was rough, but we finally made it and our fears were relieved. As I think about this 20 minute adventure, I feel that still, quiet voice telling me ... "This is your life. Listen. Learn. It may be dark, narrow and bumpy, but I will bring you safely home."

I am listening, Lord ...