November 28, 2021
Happy 15th Birthday in Heaven
Abby would be turning 15 years old tomorrow. Her little sister, Galina, will be 13 in two weeks, and big brother, Ben, is turning 18 in March. As we celebrate Abby's birthday this year, I find myself imagining life with three teenagers in the house. Before we had children, we were in youth ministry for many years. I loved teenagers then and couldn't wait for my own children to be at this stage someday. The hilarity, discovery, growth, and even the emotional ups and downs that come with the teenage years are such a joy to me. I remember firsthand how difficult the teen years can be (I was one of the worst teenagers ever, but we'll save that story for another time 😉 ). I learned long ago just how rewarding it is to love a teenager. Yes, it can be difficult at times, but I love the richness of our conversations and walking with them as they learn to walk with God and navigate this difficult world on their own. I can't wait to have those conversations with Abby someday. I'm sure she will teach me everything she's learned growing up so close to her Heavenly Father. For now, I am grateful she is mine, for all the positive ways she has shaped who I am, for the little girl (almost teenager) that might not be here if she was, and for the memory of holding her in my arms, even if only for a little while. We love you, Abby. Happy 15th birthday in Heaven! ❤
